What is UIF COVID-19 TERS Benefits?
A special UIF benefit to pay employees that are not being paid or are being
paid less as a result of COVID-19
Who can apply for the COVID-19 Relief Benefit?
• Any UIF contributing business facing distress, unable to pay salaries as a result of the lock down period; and
• Any employee who is a contributor (works more than 24 hours a month) and there is an employer and employee relationship.
Go to https://uifecc.labour.gov.za/covid19/ and register.
If you need to find your UIF number click
“Get Your UIF Reference Number”
Log in and complete the following info:
- Complete all company info
- Accept the Memorandum of Agreement Terms and Conditions*
- Accept the Letter of Agreement Terms and Conditions*
- Upload a bank confirmation letter in PDF format**
- Upload your employees manually one-by-one
- If you are doing bulk uploads send a blank email to
email@example.com to get the Excel spreadsheet that you
need to complete and save as a CSV file. (instructions on how to
save as a CSV file are at the bottom of this document).
*Accepting the Terms & Conditions means you do not need to print, sign and send these in
**You can download this online from your bank
WHAT INFO IS BEING ASKED FOR ON THE EXCEL FORM
UIF Reference number
Each company has 1 UIF number for all employees (it is 9 characters 1234567/9) which you can
get by clicking “Get Your UIF Reference Number”
button on the home page
“Shutdown from” and “Shutdown to” dates ?
This is the date that your staff stopped working (27th March) till the 30th April. May 2020 applications will open shortly so check website for more info.
This is a 10 digit number starting with U or a 7
Renumeration received monthly
This is the gross salary (the total you pay before
tax) per employee
Employment end date
Put a zero (0) because the employee is not being
Sector Minimum wage per month
You can use the National Minimum Wage
Renumeration received during lockdown period
The amount of money you’re paying employees
You can put your employees bank details or yours
if you pay them in cash
Manual uploads are more likely to be accepted
CSV submissions are for bulk uploads only
Can I claim UIF/TERS benefits for my domestic worker?
You can claim for any employee that works for you for more than 24 hours a week, is registered with UIF and that you have been contributing on behalf of for at least 3 months.
Can I do the claim for my domestic worker?
Yes, apply on the COVID-19 TERS site you can find your UIF reference number on your profile under ‘declarations manager’